- Free consultation to meet the midwives & have initial questions answered
- Hour long prenatal visits beginning around 10-12 weeks gestation
- Prenatal visits are in the office every 4-6 weeks until 28 weeks gestation, every 2 weeks until 36 weeks gestation and then weekly until your baby arrives
- Prenatal visit is in your home at 36 weeks of pregnancy
- Full prenatal lab work done in office
Midwifery led prenatal care is unique and specialized to each family and their specific needs. Visits range from 30-60 minutes and we spend a great deal of time talking about ways you can best take care of yourself and what to expect with your pregnancy labor, birth and the adjustment to breastfeeding and motherhood. We educate and guide you to make truly informed choices for your pregnancy and birth. We address not only the physical aspects of your pregnancy, but also those things that are equally important in this major life transition for you and your family. Your emotional, spiritual and mental well being are all important factors to take into account and we take time to address the things that have an impact on you and your family’s well-being as you move through the stages of a healthy pregnancy and prepare for baby.
Labor & Birth
- Continuous phone and in person support
- Essential oils, homeopathy, and other comfort measures
- Evidence based monitoring of mom & baby in labor
- Care throughout the immediate postpartum period
- Thorough newborn exam including initial newborn procedures if desired
During labor and birth your midwives serve as calm and gentle experienced guides, patiently waiting and watching your process unfold while monitoring the wellbeing of you and your baby. We know the spectrum of normal is vast when it comes to labor and birth. Each woman’s labor is unique and will continue safely and naturally when left undisturbed the vast majority of the time. Your midwives will give you support, suggestions and words of encouragement as they are needed. Midwives use a multitude of tools to promote the normal progression of labor and birth: movement, massage, different body positions, herbs, essential oils, nourishment and rest. Deep water submersion in labor can be tremendously comforting and LSM has several birth tubs available for rent to those who are interested in waterbirth. Once your baby is born he or she is not separated from you and you are encouraged to bond with your baby however feels most natural to you. Your birth team will be making sure your baby is transitioning to the world well and beginning to breast feed while seeing you safely through the last stage of birth – the delivery of your placenta. The midwives will check you for any tears and suture as necessary and we will perform a head to toe newborn exam. We offer the standard newborn procedures (Vitamin K supplementation & erythromycin) for all families desiring this. We will stay for several hours postpartum to ensure that all is well. When it’s time for the midwives to leave you’ll be tucked into bed to snuggle your new baby. The often overlooked benefit of home birth is being home with your new baby and you can comfortably rest and don’t have to go anywhere for the first week.
Postpartum & Newborn Care
- Home visits at day one, day three and day seven
- In office visits at two weeks and six weeks
- Continued on-call support; more visits as needed
- Breastfeeding support
- Newborn screenings: Metabolic screen (heel poke), hearing screen & Critical Congenital Heart Defect (CCHD) screen.
Throughout the postpartum period we continue to monitor that baby is gaining weight, Mama is recovering and resting, and your family is adjusting to this new dynamic as smoothly as possible. During these visits we are checking your baby and you physically as well as emotionally and mentally to make sure you are adjusting well.
24/7 Access to a Midwife
During your time of being a LSM client the midwives are on call for you 24/7. Out of hospital birth is appropriate after 37 weeks gestation, so your midwives will be on call and prepared for your birth beginning at this time. However, we know that urgent questions and concerns can arise at any point in pregnancy or postpartum so a midwife is always available to you.
- Gynecological & well woman care
- Preconception care
- Annual exams & pap smears
- Birth control prescriptions
- Exams for reproductive & sexual health concerns
- Birth tub rental